Thursday, August 03, 2006

Milledgeville Misfit - A Critic Coverted

It's official!

I'm really, really proud of Milledgeville Misfit. Not because 'I' think it's great, but because it excited someone (who no matter how hard I've tried to encourage to read, wouldn't) actually read it, liked it and is now demanding that I write a sequel (which at this time I don't even want to think about).

This, of course, is my eleven-year old daughter, Kelly. She took after father and has never been an advid reader. I've tried to get her to read everything. She made it only to the fourth chapter of Harry Potter before she laid it down. She actually made it through eleven chapters of my Necromancer series, Orientation - yet she hasn't touched The Year of the Unicorn. I've tried to get her to read Chronicles of Narnia, Keys to the Kingdom, Eragon, The Wizard of Earthsea and so on and so forth - but, she wasn't interested. She'd rather see the movie than read the book.

This behavior of not desiring to read is something that I personally cannot understand. I've been reading for as long as I can remember. My two oldest children are advid readers and started reading at an early age, but my baby... she doesn't like to read - yet. At least, she DIDN'T like to read until Milledgeville Misfit.

Whether anything ever comes of this story or not, it's already fulfilled the deepest desire of my heart - to inspire and introduce a child to the wonderful world of reading. To have someone open a book and step into a different world, take an adventure and in the end, desire for more. That's what it's all about. That's why I write. I'm just honored that it was my daughter that got inspired this time.

So, I thank God for Milledgeville Misfit. It was worth it!

Till next time,
~T.L. Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment