Friday, January 26, 2007

Crazy4Smallville's Weekly Review 6:12 Labyrinth

I don't think this episode is going to go down as one of the best episodes, but Tom Welling's performance should be noted as some of the best I've seen. He was great. He did an excellent job going through the yo-yo of emotions. I think he may have had to exude every one of them. Remind me that if I ever meet, to be suspicious. I won't know if he's sincere or just acting. LOL!

It was great to meet the Martian Manhuter, however I don't think I quite understood the purpose of this 'phantom' and his objective. I understand that the phantom had to get Clark to believe that he was crazy, accept that fact - in order for him to be able to take control of his super body. But, the method in which he chose left more questions than answers.

Though I loved Tom's acting ability in this episode, the storyline had far too many loop and potholes, or should I say, 'plotholes'.

First being - why was Clark so keen to accept that he was crazy so easily? If his reality supposedly became splintered when he went into high school after having grown up in a normal life (his parents, like Lana's, being killed in the meteor shower, meeting and falling in love with Lana since they were small kids, etc. ), how does that explain the super abilities he's had all his life. Clark may not have learned of his Kryptonian heritage until he was a freshman in high school, but he was always strong and always fast, and he always knew he was different. He just thought he was a meteor freak. So, for Clark to accept the Doc's assessment that he went crazy at 15 instead of 5, should have told Clark the truth. But, intelligence has never been one of Clark's super powers.

What were the source of the phantom's parallel reality? Was it Clark's hopes and fears? Does Clark truly wish that Lana has always loved him and will stand by him no matter what? Does he really believe his mom would marry Lionel Luthor? Does he really desire that he would have hurt Lex instead of help him on that bridge? Does he really fear that Chloe is crazy? Does he really believe that his destiny is to save the world?

This may not have been my favorite episode, but it's one that really has me thinking. It sort of reminds me of the whole Ezra Small prophecies. It's a bone thrown out there for a us to chew on for a while.

I'm still confused about the meeting with Lana and Lex at the Talon. What happened? Did Clark resolve in his heart that he loves Lana, but that he's moved on or that he's not giving up? I understand that he was glad to see that he wasn't responsible for another of Lex's handicaps, but what's with the smiles? I bet that Lex and Lana will scratch their heads on that one for a long time to come. It's easier to stand up to your enemies when they're barking at you. But, it's hard to strike when they're wagging their tails.

I loved the Chlark moment. It was one of the truest and greatest super feat that I've seen Clark achieve so far. He truly loves Chloe as she is. He trusts her and cares about her.

Well, this has been my weekly assessment of Smallville. Perhaps it's not as confusing as I found the episode. But, if it is - it's clearly a portrayal of the confusion I discovered.

Till next time,
~Crazy4Smallville

No comments:

Post a Comment