Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Orientation - Prologue - Snippet

Gabriel couldn’t stop staring at his mother. He wanted to memorize every little detail he could about her and lock those memories into the far reaches of his mind. He started to tear up again when his mother reached up and stroked his cheek. I’m afraid to close my eyes again, because when I open them, you might be gone.

“It’s alright, Gabriel. I’m not going anywhere just yet. I can’t promise you that I’ll be around for a long time, but I will make this solemn vow… I will finish this story before your thirteenth birthday, which is only eight days away.”

Gabriel narrowed his eyes. Did she just read my mind?

“This means more to me than anything in the world, and I’m not going anywhere until it’s complete. You can count on that.” Clutching a small silver unicorn choker that hung around her neck, Claire began her tale.

“Now… listen very carefully… because our story begins over forty years ago on one of the longest and hottest days of the year…."

No comments:

Post a Comment