Friday, January 20, 2012

Never Stop Learning

 I'm what you might call a self-learner.  While I love instruction, I get the best education by hand-on application.  I do read directions, but I like to 'use' the item, program or machine WHILE I read the instructions.  That way my hands learn at the same time as my brain.

This morning, I am learning to use my new program "Dragon". While things are slow going at the moment, with each practical use it gets a little easier.  With this program, the biggest thing I have to learn is how to speak properly.  I guess you could say the lesson would be that with practice comes perfection. My typing and writing skills are above average, but my speaking etiquette could use a lot of work.

The last couple of weeks I have been in editing mode. While I scanned the pages of my manuscript, I searched for every grammar, typo and punctuation error.  But that was only one step of the process. Today, I am focused on structure, formatting and font selection.  While I have grasped a general understanding of the word processor I use, I realize there is so much more that I need to learn. Today I am challenged with the subject of headers and footers. I know that the only way I am going to learn how to properly use these options are to play around with the program. I have to get that hands-on experience; just like using this Dragon program.

The bottom line of what I'm trying to say is - we never need to stop learning. If we ever get to the point that we think we know everything, we’ve learned nothing. There is always something new to discover, a new skill to inherit, a new understanding to be revealed. I know many people in this world want to jump to the conclusion, the solution, or the end to receive the fruits of their labor, but I find the true treasure is in the trials and tribulations of our journey - not the end. The pride that comes from a personal accomplishment is so much more rewarding than a gift. While we may struggle in our quest, the payoff is even greater.

Never stop learning. You never know what you'll discover tomorrow.

Till next time,
~T. L. Gray