Thursday, February 16, 2012

Success Recess

I've surrounded myself with writers, authors, poets, and other people in the literary field.  It's my passion.  I'm determined to succeed in what I feel I was created and called to do - but I'm not naive.  I don't expect to wake up every morning and just find that every door opens easily for me and they're lined up around the corner just waiting for me choose which ones to walk through.  Not that that couldn't happen - all things are possible - but it's not probable.  I believe anything worth while requires sacrifice, determination, and commitment.

Being surrounded by writers, I'm sometimes flabbergasted at some of the things I hear from my fellow artists. One of the most unbelievable - thinking that success in this business is just going to fall in their lap.  It can happen that way, but rarely. Bookstores don't follow us around begging us to come for signings, publishers don't pursue us with zest, books don't sell themselves, reviewers don't seek us out, and we don't search for other writers to give encouragement and inspiration.  We, as authors, must put ourselves out there.  We have to believe in ourselves, our work and one another.  It's hard work, but it doesn't have to be boring.

Work your butts off, but remember to have fun doing it!!!

Till next time,
~T.L. Gray 



No comments:

Post a Comment